Saturday, October 07, 2006

Control

A few of you out there will have noticed, it's spider time.

Yes, the time of year when you can't turn your back for a second or there will be a spider learing at you when you turn back.

Yesterday I coped brilliantly. So well, I'm not even sure how it happened.

I had opened the window in my bedroom to 'shush' a cat, (like cats, just not in my garden...) and something fell onto my hand and dropped off again. I squealed. I paused for a second, thinking, "Oh my, I think that was a spider." I looked onto the window ledge and there it was, one of those muscular, black, hairy jobs, just sitting there. I shut the window again and moved away, carried on with my morning.

What self-control! I didn't do that funny little dance in the middle of the room, you know the one, hopping from foot to foot, shaking, flapping hands and slapping at random body parts. I just_walked_away. So impressed!

A spider touched my hand and I didn't freak.

I suppose that was a good start to the weekend.

The bad news was the fall in roll numbers at the school. Again.

This means they are losing yet another class, dropping from eleven to ten. Last year we lost a class and both my girls were moved around. On the whole, that was ok. Neither of them were likely to be phased by it and Rhiannon ended up with a teacher she'd had before in P4 who she really liked, so that was good.

This year, we are not so lucky. The girls aren't affected, yay! Conall is not affected, yay! Aedan was with the same teacher as last year, which was fantastic because she's really got a handle on him.

Aedan is moving to a different class. Bum. I don't think he will get on nearly so well with this teacher. Rhiannon had her in P5, but Rhiannon is the bright, quiet, studious type that goes unnoticed more than anything else. Aedan is not. Aedan has to be cajoled, encouraged, supported and convinced he can do it. This teacher likes easy, middle of the road. Bum. Impending doom and disaster. P3 with Aedan was a disaster. P5 with Aedan looks as if it's heading the same way and I shall have a think about that one and come back to it.

Some things you have no control over.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Well done with the spider! We have several monsters that have decided to move in with us for the winter - I've decided that so long as they only come out in the evenings when my feet are securely tucked up on the sofa, then that's fine.

Nightmare about the school situation - I hope you find a good solution.

Louise said...

So typical, the only one of my four children that would be upset by change is the one they move! Pah. Think I'm going to have to grin and bear it unfortunately and what makes it worse is the school is mainly populated by RAF children rather than the locals and as such is a very fluid population. By christmas it could be all change again, with an influx of pupils. The local authority just doesn't seem to be able to make allowances.

There was another spider on the ceiling when we went to bed. Now that is something I really can't cope with!

x