Sunday, October 22, 2006

School holidays

...again.

Come the school holidays and one of my sons leaves home.

Or at least, that's what it feels like. He's only nine and a half.

Sometimes I'm not sure if I should let him. You see, he has a friend called Robert, a little chap he's known since they were at ante-preschool together, so they were roughly three and a half when they met. It is unusual around here to have any friends around for that long, they usually move away, although we appear to have become part of the furniture.

So, they did ante-preschool together, then pre-school, then they started Primary one together, but then his mum moved Robert to one of the schools in the town three miles down the road and two years after that, they moved house to that town. So, Aedan and Robert don't see each other very often now.

Robert is the youngest of two, his older brother being about seven years the senior and they are not close, so Aedan is surrogate brother. Within days of the start of the holidays, Aedan will be invited over for 'a sleepover' and I'm beginning to think it wouldn't be cheeky to automatically pack for a week, as we often don't see him again for quite a few days.

I don't think my mother approves of me letting him stay for so long. I don't know if it's because she thinks he should be at home with his family, or maybe we are imposing on Robert's family, or taking advantage.

Robert's mum often jokes about getting the birth certificate when we pop into her pizza shop, just down the road, to hand her another poly bag of underwear. We're good friends, I'm quite sure she'd tell me if there was a problem and I don't think they would invite him if they didn't like having him around. I think there are advantages on both sides. They have company and entertainment for Robert that he doesn't get from his brother, Aedan sets a good example with his behaviour, (yes, my Aedan, the one with the policeman knocking on the door...) and his good eating habits. Aedan has more individual company and attention than he would get at home with the crowd here and all their little friends. Besides, he doesn't really have any peers left round here and he needs a friend.

I would like to think they are forging the same kind of friendship I did as a child with Ruth. It would appear to be quite unusual to have a friendship that spans the decades, so I think it's a good thing. (Just reminded myself, again, we're nearly forty...)

So, am I bad mother, or just allowing my son to enjoy his childhood anyway I (responsibly) can? The most heartbreaking bit is when he comes home. He often can't sleep, is distraught at having left Robert and misses him dreadfully. Then I feel I shouldn't let him go, because then he wouldn't suffer, but then, I would be denying him something that gives him true pleasure.

Something else to add to the long list of things to keep me awake at night.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I think this sounds lovely - he's happy, you're happy, Robert's happy and providing his mother's happy it seems like everyone's a winner! I think that it's really important for children to gradually get used to staying away from home - and to bond with friends. Not all get the chance to have these childhood friendships. You are giving him a golden opportunity to develop and grow.

More importantly even, I think that it's really good that you constantly evaluate whether you are taking the right decisions as a parent. I make lots of mistakes in my parenting skills, I'm sure, but at least I constantly question what they are and whether I can improve upon them. I'm not sure that all parents do that.

Louise said...

So, self-doubt is good. Yippee! I'm good at something! It is hard to believe I am doing the right thing for my children, I am so rubbish at making decisions. Thank you for that reasurance.

I have had the opposite problem with Rhiannon, getting her to stay anywhere else has been a nightmare! She would stay at Granny's, but she told me recently, that was because we left and she had no choice! (How bad did I feel.) She would never stay at friends until recently and would get quite upset.

Last year, she refused to go on a school skiing trip, a wonderful opportunity for a ten year old. It was only an hour down the road at Aviemore, a place we have visited often, but no, one distraught child, and obviously I wasn't going to force her, but I as flabbergasted! Aren't they funny?

The other three don't bother at all, which is a little disturbing, but means I didn't do anything to make her the way she is, she just 'is'.

All individuals, bless them.

Ruth said...

It's funny isn't it. Michael had been saying for ages that he wanted to ride on a horse. So, when we holidayed in France, I took him to ride on a horse (well, pony). I booked the thing and pre-paid for it, the lot. In fact one fo the main reasons for staying where we did was so that he'd be able to visit the local stables. When the time came, of course, he decided that the last thing in the world he wanted to do was to go near a horse (/pony). I forced him. Yeap. I forced him in and on. And he loved it - from the moment he sat on the saddle, he beamed and giggled with glee. I know that he's like that - he gets last minute nerves, but if he overcomes them (and that can take some persuasion), he's fine.

Louise said...

Yes, I was nagged into that one. Unfortunately, I didn't have any battles, they all loved it. It's an expensive treat for four. Then they want to ride with mummy and daddy too. It's lovely having a trek with just our family, (six is often the maximum) but expensive.

It's great knowing your child's little quirks. It's worrying when you can see your own traits in them!