Monday, February 05, 2007

Having a bit of a splurge

I popped into my local Millets last week, (doesn't everyone?) and spied a rather nice, PINK, ladies fit, 60-65lt rucksack. I didn't buy it, but I went home and told hubby all about it. Ofcourse, his reply was, "You should have bought it." Typical! I was trying to be frugal. So, I cagged a lift back the very next day and bought it. Along with a green, 65lt male version. So that all goes rather nicely with our new tent.

Reason being? Well, our trek into the wilderness, (well, close to the Cairngorms actually) is almost becoming a reality. I'm still not convinced that we'll get to do the Eastern Cairngorm Challenge, but as my sister and brother-in-law have decided to take the children to Gairloch for a few days without us in the summer, I thought we could make good use of the time. So, we are catching a bus to Aviemore, then onto Glenmore and camping overnight. Then we'll walk through the Ryvoan Pass to Nethy Bridge and onto Grantown on Spey, roughly 15 miles, (although I need to check that one) camp there, then walk along the Dava Way to Forres and home, roughly 21 miles. (Ouch.) I decided the Ryvoan Pass was a little more scenic than the Speyway from Aviemore to Grantown and we've done part of it before. Last time we saw a Red Deer stag, (a little too close for comfort as it was during the rutt...) and a pair of Roe deer, not to mention one or two other little delights.

Excited, me? I have made one or two lists and planning how I can travel light, seeing as I've got to carry my own rucksack with part of a tent, a sleeping bag and a roll mat. Not to mention the primus stove, a kettle, knife and fork...

Yes, I'm excited.

And I've got to wait until the second week in July.

Oh boy.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

This sounds wonderful! Can we all come?!

Sorry for my absence. I'm back! (may be away again for a few days and then back again).

How can I persuade my home-comfort-loving hb to do a spot of camping?

Louise said...

If you had told me, three years ago, that I would love camping, I would have collapsed in a heap, crying with hysterical laughter. I am a woman who loves her home comforts and despises public conveniences, let alone showers. I just decided that to give our children any sort of holiday, I had to bite the bullet, as it is a relatively cheap option, once you have the kit. You can make it as comfortable or as basic as you like.

The campsite we used in Windermere, the summer before last, had bathrooms you could hire for your own use. We did. Invaluable when Aedan had heatstroke and had to sit up to his neck in lukewarm water to recover! It made our stay extremely comfortable and useful extra space. Maybe a good introduction to camping life for a wimp like me!

Now, I LOVE IT! As you may have noticed.

If nothing else, the children will have a whale of a time, it is just such a huge adventure for them. Come up here and we have a spare family tent just now. Make it quick, before we sell it!