Friday, February 02, 2007

A little 'silent' poetry reading

I've been to Annes' Blog and she's taking part in this wonderful idea of a silent poetry reading. Just leave a comment and post a poem on your blog, your favourite or even one of your own!

I found it hard to choose, my favourite Wilfred Owen, from English Lit days, one of my own, (but I already have a blog for that!) or a good one for a nice Friday, like this one...

Breavin' on the Window-pane

It's cold an' grey an' still outside,
And everything is wet with rain.
I'm standing on the cushion seat,
And breavin' on the window-pane.
An' drawin' pictures with me 'and.
The window's high against the sky-
I can't see out unless I stand.

I've drawn a house an' chimley-pot;
I've drawn a man an' child'en too,
A napple an' a toasting fork,
An' someone who is jus' like you,
And Gran'ma sittin' in the rain.
The pane's so small I've filled it all,
And 'specks I'll have to breave again.

But Jane has spoilt it now; she says
I want a whippin'-an' I don't.
She's rubbed the window clean, and says
She'll fetch a policeman-but she won't.
And now she's gone downstairs again
I'm breavin' on the window-pane.
I'll draw a nugly one of Jane.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

This is wonderful.

Louise said...

I didn't credit it because I'm not entirely sure whose it is. I learnt it as a child to recite and always loved it. I think it may be A A Milne, but I should really find out. It's just so refreshing, the images of a child's mind.

Ruth said...

That is lovely. I'll be interested to know who wrote it. I love reading children's stuff to michael. Sadly, Isabel's not a book-worm!

Louise said...

I'm quite lucky, both our girls enjoy reading, especially Rhiannon, who regularly has more than one book on the go. The boys do enjoy books, but tend to prefer factual types, dinosaurs, birds, that sort of thing. They all enjoy audio books, (which is a cheats option at bedtime...) Secret Seven, Famous Five, Wind in the Willows and a fascinating series by Michelle Paver, Wolf Brother and Spirit Walker, although I only have (sorry Aedan only has, I pinched it!) the third book, Soul Eaters in hardback just now. They have been inspired to read the books after listening.

Stephen Fryer said...

I believe that this poem may be by Marion St John Webb who died c. 1930

Louise said...

Thank you Stephen! After all these years, that's really good to know.

Do you have a blog? I'd love to have a read.