Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another little stamp

This is perhaps going to be a bit of a controversial post, but I had a little rant at David at lunch time and realised he wasn't listening, so thought I'd try elsewhere.

You see, there are prisoners up here, (well, Glasgow actually) complaining about not having theirown pants, having to wear any old pants given to them, (presumably clean) now, I was under the misapprehension that people in prisons are being punished. They are paying their debt to society for whatever crime they have committed, whether it be murder, theft, rape, fraud, a crime whatever it may be. I personally think that prison should be a punishment and yet I think many of these convicts actually get a better life in prison. They may have to share a bedroom, but they are warm and dry, have three square meals a day, gym facilities, satellite television, pool tables, computor access, libraries, education, a daily thirty minute telephone call. (As far as I'm aware, our soldiers, serving in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, get a twenty minute telephone card. Weekly...)

Where is the punishment, the deterrent? Is it really beyond the imagination of these people to reoffend, simply to be reincarcerated and to continue living in the manner to which they have become accustomed? Yes, I'm sure there are dreadful things that go on in prisons too, drugs being a small part of the problem, but I do believe these people should be being punished and shouldn't have so many 'rights', otherwise, what is the point?

I maybe shouldn't mention that I would be all for the return of capital punishment in serious cases that are proven without doubt, or that I would love to bring back National Service, because I believe this would instill respect and discipline. Not to mention corporal punishment in schools. No, I'm not outraged that my children might be beaten, because they wouldn't be. When I was a child, our headmaster had 'the slipper' in his office, but I was not once aware of anyone ever actually receiving the punishment, the threat of it's presence was enough. Now, there is nothing to be scared of or respect, the teachers no longer have the upper hand, the pupils and parents do.

And another thing, bring back the 'beat bobby'. I remember being berated by our local bobby when I was about six years old for riding my (sister's) bike on the pavement. I was terrified and have never committed a crime since. It worked for me!

This post is a bit of a mess, trying to squeeze alot of moans into one, but it all boils down to discipline and respect, or rather, the lack of.

I'll stop stamping now.

(And the pants thing was merely to illustrate a point. They should be grateful to have pants at all!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth here!

I've got this image in my head now of a judge saying: "I hereby sentence you to nine years in prison..... WITHOUT PANTS"


I think that I see things differently - well, life would be boring if we agreed on everything, wouldn't it! I feel that where prisoners are treated without dignity (and I would class not having their own pants as being treated without dignity), there is no re-habilitation. And I think that prison is about rehabilitation as well as punishment (and that the punishment lies in removing liberty, not dignity).

Re-offending rates are really high - we are getting something wrong, that's for sure But I don't see that degrading offenders is the way to address this.... I dunno.... it's just my opinion.

Louise said...

You do have a valid point, which to some extent I could agree with, except I'm more for locking them up and throwing away the key! Sorry, bit flippant, but as criminals often show no respect for other peoples' property or even dignity at times, why should they be shown any?

Maybe I'm taking an eye for an eye a little literally. I do think that there are some people that are beyond rehabilitation. They neither want it nor are capable of being helped.

Maybe there should be help and dignity for those that want and appreciate it and life means life for those that don't. Some are just incapable of comprehending that there is right and wrong.